History of the Milwaukee Astronomical Society
1947-48: A New Scope and a Grand Plan
In 1947, the Astronomical League was formed and Ed Halbach is elected to be its first President. Bill Albrecht and Halbach construct a prime focus camera for the telescope in the domed observatory now known as the Armfield Telescope.
With the pending arrival of Buckstaff's 12.5 inch reflector, plans are drawn up for that telescope which include a major expansion of the observatory.
3.8 additional acres to be purchased (possibly donated by the Phillips family) to the west and north, and a new observatory structure with 2 20-foot domes and 2 10-foot domes. The building will feature a large lecture hall, office/library, restrooms, darkroom, a bedroom, and lab on the first floor. In the basement there is a drive-in garage, workshop, storage, and a furnace. Plus there will be roof access. A large parking area would be needed to accommodate the growing membership and visitors.
The grounds layout shown at the left show the original 1.1 acre and the buildings present at that time. You might note that the Tool Shed building was not placed on the property! It is certain that the Phillips farm was okay with this.
The area in pink is what is immediately planned and shown in the diagrams below. The area above it was for future planning which corresponded to the original plan from 1937 where there'd ultimately be an upside down "T" where the big circle is a very large dome with a very large instrument.
The preliminary plan with just 2 domes, but they are 20 feet in diameter.
The final proposed plans are shown below.
Exterior. Now the plans call for the addition of two smaller (10 foot)
domes for housing smaller instruments. Note the drive-in garage which is in
the basement area.
Basement level containing the garage, storage, work shop, and the
Ground level contain the lecture hall, office and library, lab,
restrooms, darkroom, and sleeping quarters.
Roof. Access through a stair case. Note the dome slits are shown as the
same type as the A-Dome.
1948: The MAS begins a yearly contribution to the Kusiusko Fund in an effort to rebuild the famous Cracow, Poland observatory. Halbach heads an eclipse expedition to Burma, sponsored by the National Geographic Society. The group obtains 35 seconds of 35mm movie footage of the eclipse.
1949-51: A New Observatory
Franklin Burr Award goes to Halbach for his efforts in Burma. Allis Chalmers installs solar radio receivers at the observatory. The MAS is featured in an issue of the National Geographic about auroras. In the article there is a picture of Halbach, Albrecht, and Prinslow at the observatory doing observations of an aurora.
Sometime in 1949, the plans for the major expansion of the observatory were scrapped, probably a combination of the plans being too ambitious and the additional land not available. It was thought there was a possibility that the Phillips family would donate additional land because when Phillips made the original offer he indicated that more land could be made available if the need existed.
Instead, the expedient and logical solution was building a standalone domed structure where there was an existing concrete base and pedestal. Thus began the construction of the Buckstaff Observatory (aka B Dome). Ground breaking occurred late in 1949 and completed by the summer of 1950.
A few things to note. First, though the placement of the observatory corresponded to the original plan, the building type did not. If it did, it would resemble the Armfield Observatory because the next step would be to join the two structures. But a lower height circular building of cinder blocks was built instead. The story is that driving to the observatory one day, Ed Halbach, saw a local farmer starting to dissemble a corn crib. When he asked what the farmer would be doing with the cinder blocks, they negotiated a simple trade. The MAS could have the blocks if they would complete the disassembly. The second thing was that a farm silo roof was used for dome, modified to a slit design. The dome would be moved by hand, but the slit was motorized.
The photograph above shows our observatory as it looked by the end of 1951 with the new addition of the Buckstaff Observatory.
With the completion of the new observatory, Buckstaff's telescope is installed and becomes the third permanently mounted instrument in operation. We have now entered the era of the "Double Dome." Informally it is immediately called Buckstaff Telescope, but most members generally started referring to it as the B-Scope. By this time Armfield had to move to Ohio and with his departure he officially gave his telescope to the MAS. That telescope was informally called the Armfield Telescope, but the membership referred to it as the A-Scope.
The Buckstaff Telescope. Note at this time it does not have a clock drive.